Mar 9, 2012

Crafty: Steampunk inspired jewelry box

So, as some of you may know I love the Steampunk aesthetic. I fully admit it's taken me a lot longer than I wanted to get my steampunk costumes finished (because I keep changing my mind lol), but I do fiddle around with small things here and there.

I've been wanting something else to hold my jewelry in rather than the book box that it's all been in, at least until I get my jewelry box from home. After keeping my eye out at Goodwill for options, I stumbled upon this box (for $1.25):

It's handy enough to keep what little jewelry I have in, but it was definitely not the colors I wanted lol. So I set about making it a bit more like something I'd want using what I had on hand. First step was painting a gloss black over the outside. It took a lot of coats, and the embossed parts were still kind of visible if you tilted it right. Next I sponged on a metallic ruby paint I had:
Then sponged the antique gold I had on over that (since I've got a ton of that stuff and have no need for it since I sold my slave leia):
The final steps involved gluing some old gears I had made up for other outfits on top, plus one of the little acrylic gems I had for my twi'lek's old headband. I got some flowers from the dollar store and cut the flower parts off to glue them on top since I felt it was a bit lacking with just the gears and gem. So, here are some final series of pictures:



I don't have any pictures of the inside, but I went more punk and less steam for that. lol Put down some Pactra racing pink then sponged some black on over that. But, it's a nice box for my stuff for now, and I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment